Silicon Ranch is in the process of transitioning our currently operating solar farms to Regenerative Energy™. We’re also designing, constructing, and operating new solar farms in alignment with the Regenerative Energy™ Solar Standard.
Regenerative Energy™ is Silicon Ranch’s commitment to going beyond solar to help communities and the earth’s natural resources thrive. With Regenerative Energy™, we harness both the power of the sun and the power of regenerative agriculture practices. We make clean energy while improving soil health for more nutritious food production and providing high-value jobs.
Silicon Ranch delivers Regenerative Energy™ by partnering with regenerative ranchers and local farmers. Outcome driven, Regenerative Energy™ keeps solar farm land in agricultural production, helping to meet the global food demands of today and the future.
Regenerative EnergyTM Practices
Regenerative Energy™ implements regenerative agriculture and other holistic land-use practices on solar farms, including adaptive managed grazing of livestock and grassland restoration. These practices remove and trap carbon and other greenhouse gases in the soil, helping to mitigate climate change. The trapped carbon, together with other valuable soil organic matter resulting from holistic practices, also enriches the soil, improves air and water quality, and strengthens ecosystems.
Transitioning Projects to Regenerative Energy™
In 2020, Silicon Ranch is delivering Regenerative Energy™ in Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Colorado on a total of approximately 6,000 acres, with plans for expansion across the U.S. in the coming years.
Silicon Ranch piloted regenerative agriculture practices on two solar farms in Colorado in 2018. We expanded the implementation of these holistic practices to close to 1,000 acres of land housing eight operating projects in Tennessee, Arkansas, and Mississippi in 2019. Silicon Ranch partnered with regenerative farmer Trent Hendricks of Cabriejo Ranch to deliver Regenerative Energy™ in these states. This year, Trent will begin servicing at least an additional eight Silicon Ranch project sites across Tennessee, Alabama, and Mississippi.
In 2020, we are also delivering Regenerative Energy™ on 400 acres in Colorado and 2,700 acres in Southwest Georgia. Silicon Ranch has partnered with regenerative rancher Will Harris of White Oak Pastures to holistically manage the Georgia solar farms.
As we continue to develop relationships with new regenerative farmers, we will integrate Regenerative Energy™ into other currently operating projects across the country. We are designing and will be operating new solar farms using the Regenerative Energy™ Solar Standard.
Over the course of 2020, Silicon Ranch and our regenerative rancher partners will implement the following regenerative practices, among others, on the projects listed below:
The timing, intensity, and frequency of grazing are controlled to mimic the natural relationship between native grasslands and large herds of grazing animals
- The land under solar modules is restored to functioning grassland ecosystems using the appropriate regenerative ranching practices for achieving the desired outcomes
- Animal hooves puncture the surface of the soil, trampling in seeds and mulch in areas of minor erosion
- Fertilization of soil using exclusively waste from animals and compost (no synthetic fertilizers)
- Maintenance of land using no chemical pesticide
● Aerojet Rocketdyne Solar Farm in Camden, AR
● Hattiesburg Solar Farm in Hattiesburg, MS
● Meridian I, II, and III Solar Farms in Meridian, MS
● New Albany Solar Farm
● Lee Solar Farm
● Okolona Solar Farm
● Columbus/Walker East Solar Farm
● Chickasaw/Houston Solar Farm
● Central Mississippi Solar Farm
● Providence Solar Center in Madison County, TN
● Haywood Solar Farm in Brownsville, TN
● Ripley Solar Farm in Ripley, TN
● Selmer North I & II Solar Farms
● Pulaski Energy Park in Pulaski, TN
● Millington Solar Farm in Millington, TN
● Jackson Solar Farm in Jackson, TN
● Innovation Solar Farm in Memphis, TN
● Cumberland Solar Farm in Elkmont, AL
● Bancroft Station Solar Farm in Blakely, GA
● Terrell Solar Farm in Terrell County, GA
● Hazlehurst III in Hazlehurst, GA
● Kersey Solar Farm in Kersey
● Platte Valley Solar Farm in Kersey
● Mavericks Solar Farm in Mead